.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not As Good As Pork Cracklins

misadventures in cooking

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Stacked Green Chile & Grilled Chicken Enchiladas

I roasted 1.25 pounds of Anaheim chiles and after I peeled, seeded and chopped them, I put them in a measuring cup to get an idea how much it yielded (about 1.5 cups). Because I've already decided that in September, when Central Market and Chuys fire-roast hatch chiles and sell them by the bagful, I'm going to buy a few bags and make this sauce to freeze.

The recipe calls for the chiles to be coarsely chopped, but after cooking it, I decided I'd prefer it slightly less chunky, so I gave it a few pulses in the food processor. I don't know why I didn't think about my immersion blender, which would have been a lot easier. When I first tasted the green chile sauce, it was really hot! But by the time it had chicken, cheese and tortilla, it was just nicely spicy. I'd like to try this with roasted or smoked chicken.

I don't remember my previous neighbor (who is the only person I think I've seen make enchiladas) dipping her tortillas in hot oil; I think she dipped them in sauce. And I think next time I'll use sturdy supermarket corn tortillas, instead of these very nice Central Market corn tortillas, which are thin and soft.

Oh and I don't have a pan large enough for 4 stacks. I considered overlapping them, but in the end, I made 2 pans with 2 stacks each. I would have liked to have had individual gratins. That would have been sweet.

And my last comment is that 6 ounces of Monterrey Jack just wasn't getting it. Fortunately I had leftover Oaxaca from Sunday, so I used that as well. I'm guessing these had twice the cheese that the recipe called for. Yikes.
  • Stacked Green Chile & Grilled Chicken Enchiladas (Fine Cooking #73, p. 63)

4 Comments:

At 7/20/2005 11:17 PM, Blogger Sheri said...

Yummy? I love your long description. Crib notes for me when I make them!

 
At 7/21/2005 6:54 AM, Blogger Amy said...

muy yummy

 
At 7/22/2005 5:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

twice the cheese is NEVER a bad thing!
cheryl

 
At 7/23/2005 3:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds very good...mmmmm
Love you, Mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home