.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not As Good As Pork Cracklins

misadventures in cooking

Friday, February 10, 2006

Shrimp Fajitas



I've had my eye on this recipe for shrimp fajitas for a while. As with many Fine Cooking recipes, I think you could cut down on the olive oil quite a bit. And I admit that I didn't use all of the cumin. I used about half. I'm just not that crazy about cumin and half was just about right. The fajitas are very good. I would make them again.

The recipe for the guacamole sounds bizarre. Yes, avocado is high in fat (and therefore in calories) but it's good fat, so I'm not sure what the point is of a "light" recipe. But this one substitutes skinned lima beans - yes, lima beans - for some of the avocado. Bizarre. Not just bizarre, but tedious. I used to think that stripping thyme was the most tedious kitchen task. Alas, I was wrong.

When I first tasted it, I did not care for it at all. The recipe says to let it stand at room temperature for an hour, to let the flavors meld. Mine actually stood longer. But when I tasted it again, it had undergone a transformation. It was pretty good! Not as good as Hugh Carpenter's, but not bad. I still don't see the point, though.

  • Savory Shrimp Fajitas (101 Quick & Delicious Recipes, The Best of Fine Cooking, Fall 2004) on whole wheat tortillas
  • Guacamole (The Best Light Recipe, Cook's Illustrated)

3 Comments:

At 2/10/2006 11:59 PM, Blogger it's only fuel said...

Well...at least limas are the right color! Not sure I would be brave enough to try it, I'm not a fan of limas.

Your shrimpies look great and the cilantro makes me smile...mmmm...cilantro:)

 
At 2/12/2006 12:56 AM, Blogger Sheri said...

That guacamole just sounds weird. I really don't like limas.

I've been wanting to make those fajitas too!

 
At 2/18/2006 5:47 AM, Blogger Amy said...

Hey Daniel! I cook shrimp pretty often. We'd love to have you and Wally over for dinner some time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home