.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not As Good As Pork Cracklins

misadventures in cooking

Saturday, February 04, 2006

Mini Cheesecakes



Small-Batch Baking has made me obsessed with mini-things. I found Little Cakes at Half-Price Books and bought it too. Then Wednesday, I had a few minutes to kill, so I stopped in World Market and they had the most adorable little 4.5" springform pans, so I picked up a couple.

I was a little tempted to make one of the cheesecake recipes from Small-Batch Baking, but the ones to choose from in that book are chocolate swirl, raspberry with chocolate ganache, chevre with ginger syrup, etc. I just wanted plain cheesecake. There is a recipe for four mini cheesecakes on the back of the label on the pans, and I made a half recipe. I did add the sour cream topping though, because I like that. But I was experimenting with the amount, and didn't quite get enough. I used 1/4 cup, but 6 Tablespoons would probably be perfect.

Mini Cheesecakes
(adapted from Philadelphia brand cream cheese)
makes 2

1/2 c. graham cracker crumbs
1 1/2 T. sugar
1 1/2 T. butter, melted

12 oz. cream cheese, softened
6 T. sugar
1/2 t. vanilla
1.5 eggs (1 egg plus 1.5 T. beaten egg)

6 T. sour cream
1T. sugar

Mix crumbs, 1 1/2 T. sugar and butter. Press onto bottom of two mini (4.5 inch) springform pans. Bake at 300 degrees for 7 minutes.

Mix cream cheese, 6 T. sugar, vanilla, and eggs until smooth. Pour over crusts. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until almost set. There should be a jiggly circle approximately the size of a quarter in the middle.

Meanwhile, combine sour cream and 1 T. sugar. Spread over cheesecakes. Bake 5 additional minutes.

Run a knife or spatula around the rims of the pans to loosen cheesecake from the edges. Cool before removing rims. Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight. Or if you're impatient like I am, cool until you can't stand it any longer, enjoy some with your coffee, and then chill the rest of it properly.

8 Comments:

At 2/05/2006 11:24 AM, Blogger Helen said...

Hi Amy,

Your cheesecakes and apple crostatas look fantastic. Thank you so much for the pointer to the Small Batch baking book. I'll have to look it up since I am watching my weight and try to avoid having large cakes and pies in the house.

Cheers,
-Helen

 
At 2/05/2006 12:25 PM, Blogger Amy said...

That's funny Helen, I was just thinking of you this morning. I am considering trout and fennel for dinner.

Most baked goods freeze very well, but I still think it's nice to make little ones and just not have them around for long.

 
At 2/06/2006 6:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amy,

You are obviously an EXCELLENT baker! Your cheesecakes look wonderful ... I love cheesecake! Thanks for the recipe ... and the idea!

 
At 2/06/2006 7:08 AM, Blogger Amy said...

Thanks, Ivonne!

 
At 2/06/2006 5:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YUMMMM!

ashley

 
At 2/07/2006 1:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the individual size!

 
At 2/07/2006 1:55 PM, Blogger it's only fuel said...

Too cute!

 
At 2/08/2006 11:47 AM, Blogger Sheri said...

Funny, I used my teeny springform this week too. It was the overfill from my chocolate cheesecake. I didn't even make a crust for it, just poured in the leftovers. Yum.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home