.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not As Good As Pork Cracklins

misadventures in cooking

Monday, January 09, 2006

Cinnamon Raisin Bread



This is the fourth recipe I've tried from The Bread Baker's Apprentice. The picture in the book is so pretty, and I've always loved cinnamon raisin bread, that it's been on my to-do list for several months.

The last time I made Multigrain Bread Extraordinaire, I decided to use the KitchenAid to do most of the kneading and then the last few minutes by hand. I think it kept me from adding too much flour and makes the bread lighter, less doughy, and more airy. I decided to try that again. The dough was beautiful! I kneaded in the raisins by hand and the dough felt silky and wonderful.

I think the hardest thing about baking bread is following the part of the directions that says either "Cool one hour, preferably 2", or worse, "Cool completely" before slicing or serving. Poop. Where's the fun in that?

Personally, I think that if the recipe makes two loaves, a reasonable compromise would be to cut into one immediately, and cool the other one as directed.

So I did. OMG! FABULOUS!

8 Comments:

At 1/09/2006 4:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you make this today?


(Cause I'm thinking.... I know where you live!!)

 
At 1/09/2006 4:38 PM, Blogger Amy said...

Nothing would make me happier than if you came over for FRESH bread!

 
At 1/09/2006 7:58 PM, Blogger Sheri said...

What if I flew all the way there for fresh bread, would that make you happier? :)

It looks wonderful. But I would have to pick the raisins out. Ick, cooked raisins.

 
At 1/09/2006 11:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmm, looks good!

 
At 1/10/2006 8:22 PM, Blogger geekyrandomgirl said...

That some good looking bread! I know what you mean about how hard it is to wait. But after my parents ruined a loaf of sourdough by cutting into it while my back was turned, I learned my lesson. I love Peter Reinhart's bread books. The picture so amazing I sometimes want to lick them.

 
At 1/10/2006 9:28 PM, Blogger geekyrandomgirl said...

Ok, I spent some time checking out the rest of your blog. I think you and I would get along. Will you be my friend?

 
At 1/12/2006 10:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yumm! i love warm bread - esp w/butter!
cheryl

 
At 1/19/2006 10:38 PM, Blogger Helen said...

Hi Amy,

Your pictures of the breads are so beautiful. I've made the cinnamon raisin bread from Reinhart's book too and loved it. The best part was letting it get stale and then making the most heavenly french toast in the world.

Now I am in a bread baking mood :)

Cheers,
-Helen

 

Post a Comment

<< Home