.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not As Good As Pork Cracklins

misadventures in cooking

Thursday, January 26, 2006

Common Cold Remedy



Andrea tagged me with food blog meme: What is your Common Cold Remedy, especially as it relates to food?

I grew up in Georgia, but have lived in Texas for nearly 20 years. Ten or 15 years ago, I made a long road trip home for a visit, and at some point I developed a nasty cough. I couldn't sleep at night. I would fall asleep, then wake myself and the rest of the house with cough spasms that would not stop.

My dad put a little tumbler of peach schnapps on my bedside table and told me to sip on it. At first it tasted hot and alcoholic, but much better than any cough syrup I ever got as a kid. It tasted better and better the more I sipped. I fell asleep and slept through the night.

I have since discovered (in the name of scientific research) that it is also perfect for soothing a sore throat. I won't tell if you try this even if you don't have either a cold, cough or a sore throat.

Kevin, Anna, Sweetnicks, TAG, you're all it.

2 Comments:

At 1/26/2006 2:36 PM, Blogger Cookie Madness said...

....and thus, it all began!

Great story, Amy.

This is appropriate, seeing as I am fighting off this monster cold.

 
At 1/27/2006 12:01 PM, Blogger it's only fuel said...

We had a flask of peach schnapps this past weekend on the slopes to *prevent* any colds, coughs or sore throats:D

I used to have the book in the photo....but left it on the plane the last time we flew back to visit my dad in Indiana. I loved his writing style though, thanks for reminding me that I need to pick up a new copy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home