.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not As Good As Pork Cracklins

misadventures in cooking

Friday, January 27, 2006

Pan-Fried Potatoes

My dad made pan-fried potatoes when I was growing up. His are the BEST! I'm really glad Sheri made this recipe, because for some reason, I think I would have over-looked it. The recipe says to use smoked Spanish paprika if you have it, which I do and I love. And the potatoes got a yummy crust on them. I still thought they were missing something though. I added more salt and that didn't quite do it. I'm not sure what they needed, but I liked them anyway.

This is the second time I've made this chicken recipe. I like it better than the Fine Cooking recipe for Chicken Under a Brick because it's brined instead of marinated. I thought the FC marinade was too oily. I did alter Ms. Immer's recipe a little this time. I used sage instead of oregano (although I really did like the oregano, I had a craving for sage), I heated my pan on the cooktop before I put it in the oven, and I used bricks this time, like I did in this picture. It turned out really well. Isn't that skin beautiful?

3 Comments:

At 1/28/2006 10:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have tried a couple of times to make your dad's potatos. First effort -- not so good. I didn't get them done even though they were crispy. I need to try them again. I am starting to feel like cooking again. David will be so pleased :)

I miss you! Come cook for me!

ashley

 
At 1/30/2006 4:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made those last night, along with a Killie Kwong's radical roast chicken. I did not have spanish paprika, used hungarian instead. I wonder if using duck or goose fat would have improved the taste? (I guessing you used olive oil).
Cheryl

 
At 1/31/2006 4:54 AM, Blogger Amy said...

There's one way to find out! We could buy some duck fat from Central Market and split it. Not sure I need a whole pound of duck fat:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home