.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not As Good As Pork Cracklins

misadventures in cooking

Thursday, November 03, 2005

Just Lemon Scones



I love lemon. Such a clean, refreshing flavor. These scones are faintly but fragrantly lemon, made with fresh zest and candied peel. They would probably be better with tea than coffee, but that didn't stop me from taking a cup back to bed and snuggling under the comforter with a book.

They have an excellent, tender, biscuit-y texture. Yes, yes, I know the recipe says to form them into balls, but I did that with the corn cherry scones from the same book and wished I hadn't. I gently patted the dough into a circle and used the bench scraper to cut into triangles. If I did them again, I'd brush the tops with melted butter before sprinkling on the sugar.

They probably aren't exciting enough for me to make again, though, but that's mostly because there are so many recipes to try, any given one has to be really special for me to do it repeatedly.


Just Lemon Scones

Makes 10-12 scones
Preparation time including baking: 45 minutes

1/4 cup finely minced candied lemon peel
Grated zest of 1 large lemon
3/4 cup plus 1/4 cup sugar
3 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 cup (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch cubes
3/4 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup buttermilk

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a baking mat.

Combine the lemon peel, lemon zest, and the 3/4 cup sugar in a small bowl.

Sift the flour, baking soda, and baking powder together into the bowl of a sand mixer or large bowl.

Add the salt and lemon sugar to the bowl and mix until combined. Add the butter and cut it in on low speed for about 4 minutes (or use a pastry cutter or 2 dinner knives), or until it is the size of small peas. Make a well in the center and add the cream and buttermilk. Mix briefly, just until the ingredients come together; some loose flour should remain at the bottom of the bowl.

Gently shape the dough into balls about 2 1/4 inches in diameter (they should have rough, rocky exterior) and place them on the prepared pan about 2 inches apart.

Sprinkle the 1/4 cup of sugar on top of the scones. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown. Transfer the scones to a wire rack to cool.

2 Comments:

At 11/03/2005 12:06 PM, Blogger Sheri said...

I think they look and sound lovely. I think Larry would like them.

 
At 11/03/2005 12:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm in a scone-y place right now...this time of year, my body just goes carb crazy...gp

 

Post a Comment

<< Home