.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not As Good As Pork Cracklins

misadventures in cooking

Sunday, November 14, 2004

Corn Cherry Scones

My mother-in-law sent down some dried Michigan cherries. I've eaten a few of them as snack, and they're good. Then Sheri wrote about these scones on Pork Cracklins, so I thought I should give them a try.

The cornmeal I had on hand is probably too fine for this recipe. Something a little coarser might have been nicer. Not that these aren't nice, because they are! I'd use a full cup of cherries next time.

The recipe gives directions for stand mixer or by hand. In my opinion, the choices should be by hand or with dough blade in the food processor. Pulsing with the dough blade works so well for anything that cuts fat into flour, like biscuits, scones, or pie dough. Alas, I digress.

Also, the recipe says you should "Gently shape the dough into balls about 2 1/4 inches in diameter..." and that it makes 10-12. Well, I have my measuring tape out and these are 2 1/4 inches in diameter, maybe even slightly larger. But I got 18. Go figure.
  • Corn Cherry Scones (The Cheese Board: Collective Works, p. 46)

1 Comments:

At 11/16/2004 8:58 PM, Blogger Sheri said...

I got 16, and I made them huge! I thought the same thing about the size. I didn't mention that? I think mine were around 3". I used medium-grind cornmeal, I did like the crunch.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home