.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not As Good As Pork Cracklins

misadventures in cooking

Thursday, October 28, 2004

Cranberry-Orange Muffins

I clipped this recipe from the food section of the newspaper a couple of weeks ago. It calls for 1 1/2 cups whole fresh cranberries, but I gave them a quick pulse in the food processor. The batter is foamy: there's 1 T. of baking powder to 2 cups flour, so hopefully they'll be nice and light textured. The yield is wrong. It says "makes 12 muffins", but I filled a standard muffin tin 2/3 full and still had plenty of batter for 6 more, so I'd say "makes 18 muffins". I'll freeze the intended 12 for Gary's Birthday/Thanksgiving week, and we'll go ahead and eat the extras.

  • Cranberry-Orange Muffins (Mad About Muffins, Dot Vartan)

2 Comments:

At 10/28/2004 2:49 PM, Blogger Sheri said...

I'm not crazy about cranberry. Hmm, I'm surprised it's fresh cranberry instead of dried. I don't know why I expected dried. But any muffin that has a hint of citrus, yum. Orange zest? Orange juice? Both?

 
At 10/28/2004 3:06 PM, Blogger Amy said...

I tried them. I have a cranberry nut bread that uses fresh cranberries that I like better. Also, I should note that they are light textured, but they didn't rise much. No nice "crown". Maybe I should have filled them all the way, but with most muffin batter, if you did that they'd overflow. I thought 2/3 was standard. They're pretty good but nothing to get too excited about.

Orange marmalade and frozen OJ concentrate.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home