.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not As Good As Pork Cracklins

misadventures in cooking

Friday, October 28, 2005

Roasted Green Beans

I had a craving for comfort food. Earlier in the week, I was planning to make stroganoff, but by yesterday I had changed my mind to meatloaf. I can't remember the last time I had meatloaf. It's been years. When I was a teenager, I made it for Dad for dinner on a regular basis; it was one of his favorites. It's just the recipe from the Lipton Soup box, but I originally got it from my great aunt Edna.

I had angst over whether to make these garlic mashed potatoes. For only 2 pounds of potatoes, you need an entire stick of butter and a cup of half-and-half?? Yes, of course these are delicious. Why wouldn't they be? Very rich and the perfect amount of garlic.

These green beans are my new favorite. I made them earlier this week and couldn't resist making them again. They are so good that I can't imagine they wouldn't convert a green bean hater. But who knows? Actually, they were better Monday, because I let them brown more. I was a little rushed tonight.

Jiffy cake is just as easy, if not easier than the yogurt cake, and it's richer and more tender. Much better.

  • Lipton Souperior Meatloaf
  • Garlic Mashed Potatoes (Cook's Illustrated, September & October 2000, p. 10-11)
  • Roasted Green Beans with Red Onion and Walnuts (Cook's Illustrated, November and December 2005, p. 10)
  • Jiffy Cake (recipe courtesy of Sara Moulton)

3 Comments:

At 10/28/2005 10:15 PM, Blogger Sheri said...

Now I have to try those green beans. Because I'm a true green bean hater!

I use a Cook's Illustrated meatloaf recipe. Larry loves it.

 
At 10/29/2005 9:37 PM, Blogger Cookie Madness said...

We love green beans.....and roasted things. I'll give them a try when I start cooking again.

Dinner tonight was at Chez Zee. Ever been there?

 
At 10/30/2005 6:58 AM, Blogger Amy said...

Oh yes, we love love Chez Zee!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home