.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not As Good As Pork Cracklins

misadventures in cooking

Friday, October 14, 2005

Focaccia




This recipe got rave reviews on Fine Cooking's discussion forum, called Cooks Talk. The discussion is here. I was worried from the start because my dough didn't look wet or pourable at all.

Patience, my friend. The less frequently I looked at it, the more it grew. And the more it grew, the more airy and wet it looked. Still, I think that next time I will use a little less flour and weigh it so I know where to go from there.

It is so delicious and so ridiculously easy to make, I'll be surprised if I don't make it again so often that I get sick of it.

  • Focaccia (No Need to Knead, Suzanne Dunaway)
  • Steamed Shrimp
  • Salad with Honey Balsamic Vinaigrette
Focaccia

2 cups lukewarm water (85-95 degrees F)
2 tsp. active dry yeast
4 cups unbleached bread flour
2-3 tsp. salt
2-3 tsp. olive oil
2 Tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
1 tsp. kosher or sea salt

In a large bowl, sprinkle yeast over the water. Stir until dissolved. Stir in 2 cups flour and the salt, until smooth. With a strong wooden spoon, stir in the rest of the flour until incorporated. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled in volume, 30-40 minutes or overnight in refrigerator.

Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Oil one or two nonstick baking sheets and pour the dough onto the sheet, carefully scraping it from the sides of the bowl, being careful not to deflate it. Brush the dough with 2 tsp olive oil. Dip fingers into cold water or olive oil and insert them straight down into the dough. Make holes in the dough with your fingers as you gradually stretch it into a 1" thick oval. Brush with 1 tsp more olive oil and sprinkle with rosemary and salt.

Place the pan into the oven and reduce the temperature to 450. Bake 15-20 minutes, until golden brown all over with a few darker brown spots. Cool on a rack.

2 Comments:

At 10/14/2005 7:41 PM, Blogger Sheri said...

It looks SO good! I love focaccia and I've really been wanting to make this one.

 
At 10/15/2005 1:07 AM, Blogger it's only fuel said...

I love that you post your recipes. Thank you:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home