.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not As Good As Pork Cracklins

misadventures in cooking

Friday, September 30, 2005

Chicken Stock



Sun Harvest Farms has leg quarters on sale for 49 cents a pound. I own a 12 qt. stockpot that hasn't been used yet. Guess what time it is?

This is my favorite recipe for chicken stock because you brown the meat and vegetables first, and then deglaze the roasting pan. All of the lovely fond goes into the stockpot with the chicken and vegetables and enough water to cover. The ratio is roughly a pound of meat to a pint of water. So I'll end up with about 4 quarts of nice gelatinous chicken stock to freeze for yummy sauces.

I read a tip in either Fine Cooking or Cook's Illustrated to put a collapsible steamer basket on top of the meat and vegetables while they simmer, making it much easier to skim the foam off the surface. Great trick, works like a charm.

  • Chicken Stock (Fine Cooking #19, p.18)

2 Comments:

At 10/01/2005 3:50 PM, Blogger Sheri said...

I use a Fine Cooking "recipe" for chicken stock too, but I think I'd like to try this one. Yours looks gorgeous. I like your tip. But I don't have a collapsable steamer basket. An excuse to go to a cookware store!

 
At 10/02/2005 12:36 AM, Blogger it's only fuel said...

I've never made homemade chicken stock before and have never even thought about paying attention to when things are on sale to accomodate it cheaply. What a great strategy:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home