.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not As Good As Pork Cracklins

misadventures in cooking

Monday, August 29, 2005

Multigrain Bread Extraordinaire



I had so much fun making marbled rye with Sheri that I knew I wanted to try more bread baking. She chose this recipe because it doesn't look too difficult. I mentioned it to Gary and he was much more enthusiastic about it than rye. He loves multi-grain.

I didn't think it was hard to do at all, but it scared me. I carefully weighed all my ingredients and mixed. The recipe says you should sprinkle in flour "if needed to make a dough that is soft and pliable, tacky but not sticky." Uh, uh. I had a loose, sticky mess! I kept adding flour a little at a time. A little more, a little more. Repeatedly! I couldn't believe how much extra flour I needed! Anyway, it finally looked and felt like what I hoped was right. It took me a lot longer to knead than the directions suggested. I'm not a proficient, efficient kneader this early in my bread baking career. I could use a lower counter-top too. I might try a table next time.

As directed, I checked it after 40 minutes. I tapped the bottom. I don't know what hollow sounds like. It sounded like bread. I took it's temperature, just like Sheri showed me. The recipe says it should be between 180 and 190 degrees. It was immediately 180 and rising. Yikes. I think the thermometer finally quit going up at 195 or 196.

It's lovely and slightly sweet from the honey and brown sugar. It is a little doughy though, which makes me think that despite its temperature, it wasn't quite done. Odd. At any rate, the recipe says that it makes the best toast ever, and I suspect that toasting will improve the texture. I think we're having bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwiches for dinner!

  • Multigrain Bread Extraordinaire (The Bread Baker's Apprentice, Peter Reinhart, p. 187-189)

3 Comments:

At 8/29/2005 5:02 PM, Blogger it's only fuel said...

It doesn't look doughy, it looks yummy. BLTs are soooooo good...mmmmm....baaaaccconnnnn

 
At 8/29/2005 7:26 PM, Blogger Sheri said...

It looks perfect! I can't wait to make some.

 
At 8/31/2005 5:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it looks yummy! and you have been busy! don't you love the way the house smells when you bake!?
cheryl

 

Post a Comment

<< Home