.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not As Good As Pork Cracklins

misadventures in cooking

Monday, August 15, 2005

Bistro Salad with Warm Goat Cheese



My dear friend Sheri gave me a copy of Zingerman's and I've been studying it assiduously. I decided that whenever I'm just short of having enough groceries in my cart to use one of Central Market's coupons, then I'm going to splurge on some special ingredient.

I have been wanting some walnut oil. LeBlanc's is supposed to be incomparable, and when I saw the price it wasn't hard to imagine. As soon as I got home, I tasted a drop on the tip of my finger. I said "Wow!" out loud before I even realized it. I couldn't wait to try it on a salad.

I knew just the recipe. I've been making a warm goat cheese salad from Paula Lambert for a long time. When I saw this one in Fine Cooking, I knew I wanted to try it, but it calls for hazelnuts, which I'm not crazy about. Plus, walnuts and walnut oil are high in omega 3-fatty acids, which lower bad cholesterol levels (LDL) and raise good cholesterol levels (HDL).

I loved the flavor of the oil on the greens. But I think I like the goat cheese breaded with crumbs in the other recipe better than I like it coated with nuts. Either way though, warm goat cheese is just yummy. I like apples with it.

  • Bistro Salad with Warm Goat Cheese (Fine Cooking #57, p. 21)

3 Comments:

At 8/15/2005 10:44 PM, Blogger Sheri said...

That looks so good! I'm the same way about hazelnuts. Not so enamored.

I'm glad you like Zingerman's. I wish I had time to sit down and read through the whole thing.

 
At 8/16/2005 8:23 AM, Blogger Amy said...

I'm a long way from having read the whole thing. I decided to start with oils and vinegars and to write down a few names to look for at Central Market.

 
At 8/16/2005 5:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you know the whole "I feel fat" thing - well it is dishes like this that keep that extra roll around my belly! You gotta give me the recipie!
Cheryl

 

Post a Comment

<< Home