.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not As Good As Pork Cracklins

misadventures in cooking

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Pictures of My Kitchen

I was inspired by some other food bloggers (floggers) to take pictures of my kitchen. It's also a good opportunity for me to play with using the camera and formatting photos on this site.

I'm definitely not compulsive about it (heck, not even consistent), but I do have a certain organization for prepping, cooking and cleaning. Facing the sink, the right side is mostly for cutting and chopping. I keep a box there for peels, trimmings and other compostable matter. Dirty dishes, utensils and such go on the right. They get washed in the middle and then go on the left to drain or be put away. I also do a lot of measuring, weighing, and mixing on the left. The food processor and scale are there, the stand mixer comes out from the bottom cupboard, that sort of thing.


Facing the island, with the sink and counter behind me, I put prepped ingredients on the right. The cookbook stand is usually there too. I cook in the middle (love the indoor grill), with plates ready on the left for finished food. If the right side gets too crowded, sometimes I put garnishes and other last minute items on the left. Theoretically, the right side should be empty by the time the food is plated, because I will have turned around and tossed the empty prep bowls in the sink, but occasionally I completely miss an ingredient because I didn't clean up as I went. Like the fish sauce that was left out of my stir fry not long ago.

This old icebox has a lot of character. These days it holds dog treats, some corks from favorite bottles of wine and my grocery list. I love this red phone! Everyone asks, "Does it work?" Yes, it does and we use it. A neighbor child had no idea how to use a rotary dial. That was a little sad to me. The picture is my dear friend Sheri giving me a lesson in crab cakes. I like to say that I'm her sous-chef, but it makes her mad. We are excellent cooking partners. Now, if only we were neighbors...


If you want to take pictures of your kitchen, you can tag them here:

7 Comments:

At 10/05/2005 6:08 PM, Blogger Kevin said...

Amy,

I envy your counter space and the room it gives you to organize and cook sanely.

 
At 10/05/2005 9:59 PM, Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

Wow. It does sound as you are very organized. I'm kind of a messy cook, although I am usually pretty organized otherwise. I love your indoor grill.

 
At 10/05/2005 10:32 PM, Blogger Sheri said...

I love the photos, and I love cooking in your kitchen with you! As co-chefs, of course!

 
At 10/06/2005 11:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

AMY!!!!

when are we going to have a party at your place?! This kitchen is screaming for one!

 
At 10/06/2005 7:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This kitchen area looks famillar. LOL Love you, Mom

 
At 10/06/2005 9:37 PM, Blogger Kevin said...

Amy,

Boy! When you check out a blog you really check it out.

Thanks for all the complements.

 
At 10/07/2005 9:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love your kitchen! every 6 months or so i draw up plans for remodeling mine - i'd love to have more than 2' of counter space!
cheryl

 

Post a Comment

<< Home