.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not As Good As Pork Cracklins

misadventures in cooking

Monday, October 17, 2005

Pecan Chewy Chocolate Cookies



I have been wanting to make these cookies since seeing them on Cookie Madness. Seeing Central Market's version yesterday while I was shopping prompted me to think that it's time.

My first reaction when the dough came together was, let's call it what it is. This is not cookie dough, it's cookie batter. It freaked me out a little bit and I hoped it was right. My second reaction was that this batter is like royal icing; the egg whites start to dry surprisingly quickly.

I used a one-tablespoon scoop, but I figured out pretty quickly that I was getting more than 24 cookies out of this, more like 40. Which meant that mine must be smaller than Anna's which meant that I was probably over cooking them. I decided to cut down on the baking time, experimenting with 12 minutes and then 10.

These cookies are yummy! Shiny and crispy on the outside, chewy and gooey on the inside. I think Anna's right and they might have been even better with dutch-processed cocoa. Hard to complain though.


Pecan Chewy Chocolate Cookies
8 ounces chopped pecans
2 3/4 cups powdered sugar
7 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place pecans on a cookie sheet and toast them for about 8 minutes. Let cool completely.

Reduce oven heat to 325 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or Silpats.

Place sugar, cocoa, flour and salt in mixer bowl and stir together. Beat in egg whites, one at a time, scrapping bowl. Beat in vanilla and continue beating at high speed for 1 minute. Stir in cooled, toasted chopped pecans.

Drop by tablespoonfuls onto cookie sheets, leaving about 2 inches between cookies for spreading. Bake 1 sheet at a time for 10-12 minutes, turning sheet halfway though baking time.

Yields about 40 cookies.

14 Comments:

At 10/17/2005 9:26 AM, Blogger Cookie Madness said...

Hi Amy!

Glad you made them. Coincidentally, I was at Central Market Central this weekend looking at the cookies and noticed that this time, Central Market's were fat like ours, as opposed to the thinner version they were selling a few weeks ago. So the ones you and I made are almost identical to CM's.

 
At 10/17/2005 11:40 AM, Blogger Sheri said...

I think I might like these. Maybe... I'm not so sure about the pecans though.

 
At 3/21/2007 4:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amy!

God Bless YOU!! I've been looking for this recipe for several months now. It all started when I had one of these cookies at the Great American Cookie shop at our local mall here in San Antonio. Central Market has them also. I've tried several recipes, but nothing came close. I'm so excited, I can't wait to make them. Your picture is exactly what I was looking for...shiny and crunchy on the outside, chewy on the inside. Perfect!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

 
At 7/23/2007 3:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you sure that's 2 Tablespoons of flour? That's whole lot of sugar for a little bit of flour. Should it be 2 cups instead? Anyways thought I'd give my 2 cents.

 
At 8/09/2010 3:05 AM, Anonymous ChrisB said...

I thought that the flour amount was odd too. When I made the batter it was more of the consistency of thick soup. I added more flour after all the mixture was done. This turned out as expected except not quite as uniform (probably because I added the remaining flour late).

I would agree that the measurement for the flour is probably incorrect. I am going with 2 cups unless I see otherwise.

Thanks for the great recipe. My co-workers were excited to see it and I am glad I could give it a try.

 
At 8/09/2010 3:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is not the kind from CM. CM's has no flour at all. They are flourless and gluten free so this is not the recipe for what you find in CM.

 
At 8/26/2010 4:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just made the cookie yesterday .. I used only the 2 tbs of flour, but i used only 1/2 of the pecans .. and the cookies came out AMAZING!!! Just like the Central Market ... DELICIOUS and you can't have just one. I took a picture and it's perfect. The biggest difference is that i only got 12 cookies .. not 40, but they are the same size and thickness as the CM ones. THANK YOU!

 
At 2/24/2011 11:45 PM, Blogger Candace @ Candace Creations said...

I just made these because I've been searching for this recipe! I blogged about it posted my photos. Mine don't look like yours, I don't know why! The only thing different I did was use corn starch instead of flour to make them gluten free and doubled the recipe...hmm!!! You're look more like the ones at central market.

 
At 5/23/2011 6:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Central Market recipe is available on thief website and these are famous because they are flourless. Your recipe will not be as chewy or flat with the flour

http://www.centralmarket.com/Recipes/RecipeDetail.aspx?rid=81141

 
At 7/22/2011 11:47 PM, Blogger hulagirl said...

Thank you for posting this recipe! The cookies turned out perfectly just as you have it here . . . USE THE 2 TBSP of flour, not 2 cups! I only got 22 cookies, not 40, out of the recipe. Still, a home run!

 
At 6/05/2012 3:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I go to the farmers market in Oakland every Saturday just to buy Pecan Chewies. By the time I get there they are sold out. I'm so glad I found this recipe. The cookies came out amazing. My husband won't stop eating them! The only problem I had was that the cookies stuck to the parchment paper. I will be making these at our next family event. Thank you for this delicious recipe!!!!

 
At 11/07/2013 9:03 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I used to have a cookbook with a recipe similar to this when i was younger, so i decided to make these.

questioned the ammount of flour, and used two cups, realized that without any kind of shortening, that would never work, down one batch, this used up most of my confectioners sugar. tried to substitute regular sugar, now my cookies have an extremely chewy burnt sugar bottom.

 
At 2/20/2015 8:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wonder if rice flour would work? And I believe you with only 2T.

 
At 3/05/2016 3:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

These can't be gluten free if they have flour in them!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home