.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not As Good As Pork Cracklins

misadventures in cooking

Friday, February 04, 2005

Open That Bottle Night

I love the Wall Street Journal's wine column, written by Dorothy (Dottie) J. Gaiter and John Brecher. They have a very comfortable and comforting style, not pretentious at all.

In 1999, they started a tradition called Open That Bottle Night. The idea behind it is that many people, whether they are regular wine drinkers or not, have a special bottle that they've been saving. And saving and saving. And the longer they save it, the harder it is to find an occasion special enough to merit opening the bottle.

If you haven't seen the movie "Sideways", I recommend it. It's got something for everyone, not a chick flick, but not a bang 'em up shoot 'em up either. There's a scene in it that describes OTBN perfectly. Miles (a wine afficianado) is telling Maya that he has this really old bottle of... I forget what... that he is saving for a special occasion. She tells him that the day he opens a 1961 bottle of whatever-it-is, that's the special occasion.

This year's OTBN will be Saturday, February 26. For one reason or another, Gary and I have never done it. I think we will this year. Just letting you know, in case anyone else wants to do it too.


4 Comments:

At 2/04/2005 9:58 AM, Blogger Sheri said...

Oooh! Good idea. We have lots of special bottles that we've never opened.

 
At 2/04/2005 11:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I watched Sideways last night and thought it was great. I bet someone who really appreciates wine would enjoy the movie even more. Did I mention I'm trying to grow grapes? Not for wine, of course, but just because I love grapes.

 
At 2/04/2005 11:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I seem to have trouble remembering to sign my name.
-- Kelly

 
At 2/04/2005 1:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

as alan and i were going through the wine locker last week, we had that same conversation. just what is a special occasion anyway? why can't a rainy monday be a special occasion?
cheryl

 

Post a Comment

<< Home