.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not As Good As Pork Cracklins

misadventures in cooking

Friday, January 28, 2005

Cannelloni

I saw a picture in my new cookbook and it looked so good that it made me want to make it. What aggravates me is that I should have consulted Marcella Hazan.

I loved the delicate flavor of the sage in the filling. And the bechamel was nice. Until I baked it. Then it separated. Something gave off liquid, but I don't know what. The veal? And the filling needed more salt, something I wouldn't have known unless I'd cooked a sneak mini-bit, as Sara Moulton would have told me to do. Bah. Not a recipe I'd use again, even though it didn't keep either of us from eating our fair shares.

The wine had a wet, leaky cork. Gary said he'd drink something else. I said I was pouring it anyway. It was soft and just right with veal and cream. Even to Gary. It was a 1990, released in 2000 that Gary picked up at Steve's, a locally owned liquor store where he and Steve have made nicey-nice.

If the salad in my photo looks wilted, it's because it's leftovers that I photographed after dinner :-)
  • Cannelloni with Veal and Fresh Herbs (Cook It Right, Anne Willan, p. 185)
  • Arugula and romanita tomatoes with balsamic vinegar
  • Rubesco Riserva Monicchio, 1990 (Sangiovese and Canaiolo)



3 Comments:

At 1/28/2005 9:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seeing that cannelloni reminded me of when I was younger (maybe 15 years ago) and I was totally addicted to a frozen cannelloni entree -- probably weight watchers or lean cuisine, I don't remember. Anyway, I ate it practically everyday. I loved it! I had a similar addiction to Taco Cabana's black bean burritos in the early 90's -- I ate one everyday for lunch (only Mon-Fri) for at least a year.

 
At 1/28/2005 9:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Opps, forgot to sign my name -- Kelly. But I bet you guessed it was me.

 
At 1/30/2005 11:47 AM, Blogger Sheri said...

I love canelloni. Mostly with cheese, though. I usually don't cook with veal - only when I make meatloaf. Where's the garlic bread? :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home