.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not As Good As Pork Cracklins

misadventures in cooking

Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Chili

It's going to turn cold, so I decided to make chili to have over the weekend. I usually try to make things like chili and stew a day or two before I plan to eat them. I've made this recipe before, and we love it, but I alter it a little.

It is becoming a big pet peeve of mine that there is no way to let Epicurious know when they post a typo. I originally made this recipe from the actual Bon Appetit magazine, and I am almost positive that it did not call for 1/2 cup chili powder. However, I don't have the magazine any longer to confirm that. There is a similar typo on the recipe for shrimp bisque that I made at Christmas. And I know for a fact that the online version for that is incorrect. Oh. And the picture accompanying the chili recipe is meatloaf, mashed potatoes and green beans. Hello?

My changes for the chili are to use a cup of stout, 3 cups of broth, 1 T. ancho chile powder, 2 tsp. chipotle chile powder, 1/2 t. cumin, and 6 disks of frozen chipotle puree. As it simmers, I will adjust whatever needs adjusting. I'm thinking it could still take more heat.

4 Comments:

At 1/12/2005 9:27 PM, Blogger Sheri said...

Mmm, that sounds so good. I agree that chili and stew are always better when they have a day or two for the flavors to meld.

What kind of beef do you use?

 
At 1/13/2005 8:08 AM, Blogger Amy said...

Just ground chuck from the grocery store. Not a coarse grind, or anything.

 
At 1/13/2005 9:41 AM, Blogger Sheri said...

What do you think - would it be good with ground turkey? We don't do a lot of beef around here, you know!

 
At 1/13/2005 2:05 PM, Blogger Amy said...

Definitely. I think ground turkey is perfect for recipes that are highly seasoned.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home