.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not As Good As Pork Cracklins

misadventures in cooking

Friday, January 28, 2005

The Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie

My second favorite food geek in the world is Alton Brown. (Who's the first you might ask? Puhleez... If you have to ask, you don't deserve to know.) In one episode of Good Eats, he explores the differences between three main types of chocolate chip cookies: The Thin, The Puffy, and The Chewy.

Gary is a thin guy; I myself am a chewy girl. Chewy requires bread flour, melted butter, much higher ratio of brown to white sugar, and leaving out one of the egg whites. This is a soft dough, which needs to be chilled before shaping with an ice cream scoop. The chilling time adds to the prep time listed on the recipe.

This recipe says a #20 scoop, which is 2 1/2 ounces. The version I read in the newspaper article about AB said a 1 oz. scoop. My photo shows 1 oz and they are pretty big. Also, the yield says 2 1/2 dozen with that #20 scoop, but I got 28 cookies (which would presumably be smaller and therefore yield more. ) Just letting you know.

I'm experimenting with baking some of the cookies, and freezing the remaining dough in balls. Will let you know how those turn out, too.

One minute less in the oven, and I'd have said they were perfect.



3 Comments:

At 1/28/2005 2:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those look SO good. I think I'm a chewey person, too. I like the idea of freezing some of the dough, it would be nice to just make a few at a time. I can't be trusted with a full batch of cookies in the house.
-- Kelly

 
At 1/28/2005 8:14 PM, Blogger Sheri said...

Darn, I wish we had time to make those while I was there. They look so yummy! I love chocolate chip cookies.

 
At 2/01/2006 5:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're on the same page!

So far, I am enjoying dough with majority brown sugar. Instead of dropping right away, I refrigerate for at least 10 minutes. I've found that a heaping teaspoon rolled into a ball is the popular measurement - not too big, not too small.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home