.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not As Good As Pork Cracklins

misadventures in cooking

Sunday, February 01, 2009

Lemon-Ginger Marmalade



Recently someone asked if there is a "girl card", like there is a man card. I don't know the answer to that question, but I do know that if there is, I missed out on several of the genes that would entitle me to one. For one thing, I don't like to shop. And I'm not all that crazy about chocolate. Chocolate is good, don't get me wrong, but I certainly don't crave it like many women do. If I were choosing, I'd choose citrus.

Last year, a friend made lemon marmalade, and I was the lucky recipient of a jar. I was torn. It was so yummy that I wanted to eat it by the spoonful, straight from the jar, then and there. On the other hand, it was so yummy that I wanted to savor it forever.

Fast forward to the arrival of the most recent issue of Fine Cooking a few weeks ago. In it was a recipe for Lemon-Ginger Marmalade. If Anything Citrus is my favorite, then Anything Ginger is my next favorite, and Anything Combo is scary good. As in, I have no self control, can't hold me back, one spoonful becomes two, two become four, four become... well, you get the idea.

Before I got a chance to try the recipe myself, Jess left a jar of it on my front porch, a swap of Yuck for Yum. I definitely got the better end of that deal.

Yesterday I made a batch. And when I run out, I'll make it again. And again. And again.

Lemon-Ginger Marmalade
from Fine Cooking #97

3 Comments:

At 2/02/2009 12:20 PM, Blogger Sheri said...

How was it, effort-wise? I'm not looking forward to taking the skin off those lemons. But I've got a few Meyers lemons on hand and it would be a great use for them...

 
At 2/02/2009 12:30 PM, Blogger Amy said...

Easy! Medium time consuming. I used OXO peeler; that was fast (and no pith). You might find cutting the wide peels into narrow strips a little tedious, but it's not a super huge batch, so do it!

 
At 2/03/2009 7:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Umm, you are like your mommy when it comes to shopping and chocolate. I have had a bag of Ghiradelli's dark chocolate squares since November. I have eaten three of them.
This marmalade sounds good to me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home