.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not As Good As Pork Cracklins

misadventures in cooking

Thursday, January 08, 2009

Lemon Poppyseed Squares



Somehow, I manage to find time to bake even when I should be doing other things. But if you need or want ways to squeeze baking into your busy life, The Weekend Baker by Abby Dodge may be for you. It might not be for the strict beginner, but there isn't anything too awfully difficult in it and there is a introduction with baking basics, so a brave beginner should consider giving it a try.

The book is divided into three sections. "Baker's Express" has recipes that are pretty quick, and use few ingredients and simple techniques. I've made Emergency Blender Cupcakes and Big Time Peanut Butter Cookies several times and give them very high marks. The recipes in "Baking in Stages" are still fairly easy, and to make them even more accessible, they're broken down into steps that usually can be scheduled over several days, or stored in the freezer and finished later. The last section is called "Productions". Even though those recipes aren't hard and can be made in stages, they tend to be for special occasions.

Scattered throughout the three sections are great tips that make things even easier, spread out tasks, and explain ingredients. Optional steps are also included, in case you have extra time and/or inclination, like the soaking glaze for these Lemon Poppyseed Squares. I didn't really have the time, but I had the inclination and the ingredients, so I used it.

2 Comments:

At 1/08/2009 3:02 PM, Blogger Amy said...

You had me at "lemon".

 
At 1/08/2009 6:38 PM, Blogger meredith said...

I normally just stalk your blog, but oh my...lemon poppy are my very favorite. I hope they were as delish as they look!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home