.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not As Good As Pork Cracklins

misadventures in cooking

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Banana Bread



I purposefully let some bananas get over-ripe so that I could make some banana bread based on a recipe from The Seasonal Cook, which she in turn adapted from Joy of Baking.

The Seasonal Cook calls it, "The best banana bread. Really." But, as she warned, I probably ended up with somewhat inferior or second best banana bread, because I didn't add all of the options, including toasted nuts, walnut flavoring or wheat germ. I did add chopped dates, which I've never put in banana bread before, but sounded intriguing. I meant to add vanilla extract, but got distracted and forgot.

I used a Wilton pan that I found for cheap, cheap, cheap at Tuesday Morning. It makes 4 mini loaves, and I took a wild guess on the baking time. This recipe is a keeper. My house smells amazing and I have a happy tummy.

Banana Bread
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 stick butter, melted and cooled
1 1/2 - 1 3/4 cup mashed, ripe bananas
1 tsp vanilla extract
2/3 cup chopped dates

In a small bowl, mix together the butter, bananas, and eggs.

In a large bowl, sift together the dry ingredients. Fold in the wet ingredients. Do not overmix!

Divide batter between 4 mini loaf pans and bake in a 350 degree oven until done, approximately 30 minutes.

3 Comments:

At 2/22/2006 9:06 PM, Blogger Sheri said...

I really love banana bread. Yum! Especially with toasted walnuts.

 
At 2/22/2006 11:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, jeeze, it's about time. i was wondering when you were going to update your blog! i mean, really, it's not like you ran a marathon for fun recently!
caw

 
At 2/23/2006 10:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some women collect purses and shoes, I collect banana bread recipes!

They look delicious ... thanks for sharing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home