.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not As Good As Pork Cracklins

misadventures in cooking

Sunday, November 06, 2005

Honey Yeast Rolls




I've only made rolls once, and it made me want to watch someone else do it. A couple of months ago, I saw an blurb in the newspaper, and twisted Cheryl's arm to get her to sign up with me.

So today we went to a cooking class at Juniper Hills Farm. On the plus side, the location is fabulous! I would love to have that Viking range! And the a wonderful assortment of bowls, platters, dishes, gadgets, cookware, etc. The instructor was very organized, had lots of things going at once, and really kept things moving with little down time. She did a good job of getting people involved, "here measure out 4 teaspoons of this", "put 5 cups of flour in this bowl", and "brush these with melted butter". The other huge plus (um, in theory, although not in practice) was what we went home with: printed recipes and instructions, dough for 2 different types of rolls, and 2 kinds of finished rolls.

On the minus side, neither Cheryl nor I liked the recipes. I'm so glad it wasn't just me. Also on the minus side, I didn't get to practice the roll technique that I've been wanting. We made several styles, but not the one I had expected. When I got home, I practiced that style with my take-home dough, and then toss them the results in the compost bin. I can't believe I just admitted that.

I don't plan to make rolls again soon. I promise. Except these. And then I'll quit. I promise.

1 Comments:

At 11/10/2005 7:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i was lusting after the range as well. i'd bake bread all the time if i had a warming shelf built into my range!
cheryl

 

Post a Comment

<< Home