.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not As Good As Pork Cracklins

misadventures in cooking

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Pickled Beets



My post Boston Marathon tradition is to walk to B&G Oysters for wine, oysters on the half-shell, and a lobster roll. I love their bread & butter pickles, too. Last year, I had a long conversation about them with the bartender, and I wasn't surprised to learn that they're made in-house. This year, I gave Susan a few off my plate. She asked if I'd ever made pickles, which I hadn't, but mostly because I don't have my own personal cucumber supplier, as she does.

Lately however, I have had a bounty of beets. Which made me remember. When I was a little girl, we often had a huge container of pickled beets in the refrigerator, but I had no appreciation for them whatsoever. Since then, I've learned to enjoy a lot of foods that I wasn't crazy about as a child. And because pretty much everything is better when you make it yourself with farm-fresh ingredients, I decided to give it a try.

I'm quite pleased with myself. They're very, very good. Now, what to do with all this kohlrabi?

5 Comments:

At 5/12/2010 12:46 PM, Blogger Amy said...

I have a kohlrabi recipe, but no kohlrabi! Here, my coworker said she made this and it was delicious.

Ginger Kohlrabi
1 Tbsp. neutral oil, I used sunflower
1 tsp. grated fresh ginger
I small green garlic including about 4 inches of the stem, minced
2 smallish kohlrabi
salt to taste

Heat oil in a pan over medium heat.  Thickly peel the kohlrabi, then cut into medium julienne pieces.  Add the ginger and garlic to the pan.  Stir and cook for about 2 minutes, just until fragrant but not browned.  Add the kohlrabi and stir to coat.  Add a good pinch of salt and 2 tablespoons water then cover.  Let kohlrabi steam, covered, until just tender and water has evaporated. Kohlrabi will just be starting to caramelize a bit.  Serve immediately.

 
At 5/12/2010 2:12 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

(i've always loved pickled beets and your look quite yummy!)
Growing up, my mom always added kohlrabi to mashed potatoes; quite yummy!

 
At 5/12/2010 9:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm, that plate looks familiar. :-)
I've still never learned to like the beets....lol

 
At 5/12/2010 10:25 PM, Blogger Builderben said...

Whoa, Kohlrabi! The only other place I have ever seen that word is in one of the children's books we have. I have no idea what it tastes like, but the word itself is fantastic.

 
At 5/13/2010 8:10 PM, Blogger David said...

I do remember seeing them in the refrigerator but I think I'd still be afraid to try them...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home