.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not As Good As Pork Cracklins

misadventures in cooking

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Boston Cream Pie



Not only to celebrate turning another year older but also to celebrate having run my fastest marathon so far, I made a Boston Cream Pie for Sunday Family Dinner.

I mostly followed the Boston Cream Pie instructions from Shirley O. Corriher's book Bakewise. However, she torts the cake into three layers, while I went with the traditional two. Also, I made a half recipe of Rose Levy Beranbaum's crème pâtissière, instead of Ms. Corriher's.

To be honest, this is not my kind of thing. Hello? Where's the lemon? Where's the ginger? But it seemed like the right thing to do, and I suspect everyone else will love it.

8 Comments:

At 4/25/2010 8:29 AM, Blogger Precious said...

I love how neatly it cuts. So clean.

 
At 4/25/2010 9:16 AM, Blogger Toni said...

That is EXACTLY my cup of tea. Chocolate ganache, vanilla pastry creme and some cake to hold it all together....It looks so good!

 
At 4/25/2010 5:42 PM, Anonymous Anna said...

Looks delicious, Amy! Happy Birthday.

 
At 4/26/2010 8:15 AM, Blogger Mark said...

Happy Birthday; Congratulations; oh, and YUM!

 
At 4/26/2010 9:54 AM, Blogger Andrea said...

It looks so perfect! Happy Birthday!

 
At 4/26/2010 11:50 AM, Anonymous Andrea said...

I'm going to admit I haven't visited your blog in a while-- and it certainly has been my loss. You have been cooking and baking up a storm and it looks sooooo good! I love your Sunday dinner with dessert tradition.
As it happens I had a birthday this weekend too-- the 24th. What day was yours?

 
At 5/03/2010 10:06 AM, Blogger SallyBR said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!

I am even a bit afraid to ask how fast was it... I will pass out, I know

You are amazing! WAY TO GO!!!!!

 
At 5/08/2010 9:42 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Wow! what a beautiful cake! I love Boston Cream Pie, but haven't attempted it in awhile. I guess I need to try Shirley's version - it certainly is a gorgeous slice!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home