.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not As Good As Pork Cracklins

misadventures in cooking

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Yogurt



There are lots of ways to incubate yogurt at home, and this recipe by Harold McGee (author of On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen) has to be one of the easiest.

Maybe I'm hungry, or calcium deficient, or just a pig, but I could slurp up vast quantities of this. It's not too tart to eat plain, but it's also delicious with a little swirl of maple syrup, honey, or homemade lemon-ginger marmalade. I know, because I've already tried each of the aforementioned combinations.

3 Comments:

At 4/30/2009 12:32 PM, Blogger Sheri said...

what did you use as your starter?

 
At 5/03/2009 7:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do think I recognize that dish. :-)

 
At 5/07/2009 12:27 PM, Blogger Amy said...

I've used both Dannon and Fage. Fage takes much longer to set up. The end product is very, very similar, I assume because it's used in such small quantity compared to the milk? The kind and source of the milk must make a big difference, but I haven't played with that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home