.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not As Good As Pork Cracklins

misadventures in cooking

Friday, March 13, 2009

Everyday Whole-Wheat Bread



Nancy Baggett's new book, Kneadlessly Simple, is getting a lot of attention right now.

Eating Well Magazine featured entire article, including the recipe for this Everyday Whole-Wheat Bread.

It's very easy. Yesterday afternoon, I stirred the ingredients together using my very sturdy dough whisk. I covered the bowl with plastic wrap and let it sit in the counter overnight. This morning, I scraped it into a loaf pan, patted the top to be more-or-less smooth and let it rise until it came just above the edge of the pan. It baked for a little over an hour, while I tried to be patient and not eat breakfast.

It was worth the wait. It's quite good. I'll definitely make it again and again. I'm also going to try at least one other recipe from the Eating Well article, and a couple that are on Serious Eats.

I'm sure some people wouldn't buy a cookbook when so many of the recipes are available online. Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free? Wait. Maybe that's different. Anyhow, for me, testing the recipes and knowing how good they are only makes me want it more.

6 Comments:

At 3/13/2009 11:24 AM, Blogger Sheri said...

I saw that article (I'm becoming more and more interested in Eating Well). I may just make it one of these days. :)

 
At 3/16/2009 1:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We love whole wheat bread. If it's as easy as you say, I'll try it. Please send me the recipe.
Love, Mom

 
At 3/16/2009 8:16 PM, Blogger Amy said...

Hi Mom!

Just click on the 'recipe' link in the blog.

 
At 3/24/2009 10:43 PM, Blogger Amy said...

I made this last weekend and it is really good. I wish I had a dough whisk- looks awesome. I had fun "vigorously stirring". I thought the recipe wasn't really that simple, I had to keep re-reading it, and it did not turn out as pretty as yours...but the bread tastes just great!!

 
At 3/25/2009 5:27 AM, Blogger Amy said...

Amy, definitely get a dough whisk! And if you make this particular recipe once or twice more, I bet you'll think it's easier than it was this time. Good job! Glad you did it!

 
At 4/06/2009 12:42 PM, Blogger Amy said...

I made this again and it is again delicious. It was easier this time and came out a little different. Still not pretty on top, but definitely tasty.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home