.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not As Good As Pork Cracklins

misadventures in cooking

Sunday, April 12, 2009

Seeded Multigrain



This is the third of three recipes I had planned to test before buying Kneadlessly Simple. I mixed it yesterday afternoon. (Have I mentioned how much I love my heavy-duty dough whisk? why yes, I think I have.) The dough then sat in a covered container on the countertop, to slowly rise for 12-18 hours.

My original plan had been to start its 2nd rise after my workout this morning. But it's storming and my friend sent a note "I'm inclined to bail. You?" Grrr...

I'm flexible, right? I'll bake.

First I needed to make a final decision about which Dutch (French!) oven to use. I have a couple of smalls and I have a couple of larges. I need medium. I considered splitting the dough into smalls. I didn't want to. I vacillated. I coveted Corey's oval one. I decided to use my gorgeous red 7-quart le Creuset. I oiled and floured it and put the dough in. Only to change my mind. Again. I got out an oval ceramic casserole, oiled and floured it, and moved the dough. I decided there was no way it was going to be big enough. I decided the lid wasn't going to be tight enough. I decided that I don't have good decision-making capabilities that early in the morning.

Whatever. It was on its second rise. Which (of course!) is when the rain stopped and I wished my original workout plans were still on. But by then I was committed to the damn bread.

Oh! I used my new Thermapen. LOVE it! I will go out on a limb now, and contradict Nancy Baggett (heresy!): In my opinion, her breads need to bake to a higher temperature than she states in the recipes. For this particular loaf, the directions say "until an instant read thermometer registers 204-206 degrees". However, at 207 it was was still wet in the middle. I had the same issue with the Cheddar & Chile Bread. My recommendation is to let it go until 210. If it starts to brown too much, tent it with foil.

The verdict? Great crust! Excellent nutty aroma and flavor. All around quite good.

2 Comments:

At 4/12/2009 11:08 AM, Blogger Jess said...

yum...love bread with seeds etc...it really was a fantastic morning for a run...but i won't rub it in :D

 
At 4/14/2009 11:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We got your torrential downpour all day Monday.

Yummy looking bread, although you know I'm a sucker for your home made bread.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home