.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not As Good As Pork Cracklins

misadventures in cooking

Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Snowflakes



There is some sick similarity between Ironman, marathons, and cut-out cookies and it is this: after each event, I am likely to say to myself and anyone nearby, "Remind me to never, Never, NEVER do this again!"

But time goes by, the pain subsides, I forget my promises, start click click clicking around on the internet, and get tempted by what others are doing.

I keep seeing the most darling snowflake cookies! And so, having already made most of my inexpensive, easy to churn out recipes for this weekend's bake sale, I foolishly decided to give snowflakes a try.

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. The only smart thing I did was to mix a half recipe, instead the full one. Impossibly difficult to deal with, I threw most of the dough away and ended up with only seven - count them ladies and gentlemen - SEVEN cookies that more resembled daisies than snowflakes. Ah, I thought brightly, not yet discouraged, a little royal icing and they will look festive and snowy! Baloney.

I am sticking with these. And if I ever say I'm making anything else, please wop me upside the head.

5 Comments:

At 12/05/2007 2:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Amy, you might not be so pleased, but I am in love with that photo!!!!! The first thing that caught my eye about the photo once I got past the yummy-looking cookies was the window frame shadow. So neat! I've seen photographers create fake window panels in front of their fake lights, but you pulled it off well with the real thing. I clicked on the photo and got the huge version which shows texture *so* well. Did you sneak a professional photographer into your kitchen? The lighting is so well done!

 
At 12/06/2007 7:22 AM, Blogger Jess said...

they look super cute to me! totally snowflake like. but i know what that frustration feels like...argh! no fail is a good way to be...

 
At 12/08/2007 1:23 PM, Blogger Heleen said...

Amy, they are gorgeous! And from this picture, nobody knows you only got seven cookies (and very cute ones at that :o)).
That packaging is beautiful by the way! Tell me more about the bake sale!

 
At 12/09/2007 9:55 AM, Blogger Toni said...

So what recipe did you use that worked so poorly? I'm wondering if it is the Dorie Greenspan recipe for chocolate cut-outs? I'm really wondering because I have that recipe on my list for this year's cookies. Yours look nice, even if there are only 7.

 
At 12/09/2007 5:07 PM, Blogger Amy said...

Toni, I wish I used Dorie's recipe! This was a gingerbread recipe from FC#54 :(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home