.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not As Good As Pork Cracklins

misadventures in cooking

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Cake Decorating 3



I missed Class 2, but since there are only 2 other students, the instructor sort of gave me some extra attention and got me caught up.

It's safe to say that I won't be putting roses on a cake. First, they just aren't "me". Second, they are a total PITA. Third, I suck at making them.



Borders are nice. I could learn lots and lots of borders. Plus they cover up a less than perfect icing job. BordersRGood:


I also think it's worthwhile to learn to write nice letters. I think I'll be practicing that:


All in all I am very glad I took the class. I got tips that I don't think I would have ever figured out for myself. I may even repeat the class at a different time, so I get a different instructor. In case that leads to more tips. I think I'd rather do that than take the next level. I could use more practice before moving on anyway. And I'm not sure I even want to move on. I like fairly simple decorations.

5 Comments:

At 10/16/2007 2:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome! Your lettering job there is pretty nice. I'm not a big fan of silly roses on cakes, either.

 
At 10/16/2007 10:33 PM, Blogger Sheri said...

Roses are stupid. I loved the candied violets we put on Jay's cake that year, though.

Instead of me taking a class, you should come out here and teach me everything you know. And bake me some bread. :)

 
At 10/17/2007 3:07 AM, Blogger Amy said...

Those candied violets were so perfect! Now that is my idea of pretty decorations, simple but beautiful.

I'd love to come stay in your upstairs nest!

 
At 10/18/2007 10:38 PM, Blogger brian said...

Thanks for the comment! Yours is a lovely blog too! And your piping is light years beyond mine -- those roses are lovely (I don't care what sheri says.) If you check out my fig & anise macarons you'll see I have a big of practice left in that department.

 
At 12/04/2007 11:11 AM, Blogger RuthWells said...

Ummm... I'll give you reasons #1 & 2 on the roses, but not #3! Your roses look great.

That said, I like to mix roses up with pansy-type flowers -- the mixed array is much more forgiving, to my eye.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home