.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not As Good As Pork Cracklins

misadventures in cooking

Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Cake Decorating 1



I'm taking a 3-part cake decorating class at All In One Bakeshop. Today's lesson went over how to make pastry bags from parchment paper, how to fit the coupler & icing tips both on those bags and also on disposable plastic pastry bags, as well as how to fill them with icing.

We learned to cut the cake horizontally into 2 layers and pipe an icing "dam" around the bottom layer so that we could put a filling on it without it gushing out the sides once the top went back on. Then we learned how to frost the cake and (mostly) get it smooth enough to decorate.

I was worried that I am generally not patient enough for things like this, but it went better than I expected. I think with some practice, I'll be able to make things that I won't be embarrassed of. Maybe.

I'm guessing that this would not be a design that my brother would choose. However it does happen to be his 37th birthday today, so I am going to dedicate it to him nevertheless. Happy Birthday, David.

7 Comments:

At 10/02/2007 1:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yay! You are taking that course!!!! I like your cake, it's cute. :)

That shop is so close! If you're free before or after (not sure what time you're going), we could do lunch or something.

Happy Birthday David!!! I want to eat some cake in his honor. Yum.

 
At 10/02/2007 7:54 PM, Blogger Sheri said...

Pretty cake! I keep saying I'm going to take a class like this. I don't need anything fancy, just some basics.

You bake bread. You're patient enough for cake decorating. :)

 
At 10/02/2007 8:21 PM, Blogger Nana J said...

I think David will like his cake!
It looks yummy to me.

Love you, Mom

 
At 10/02/2007 9:37 PM, Blogger David said...

Thanks Amy! Looks yummy to me.

 
At 10/02/2007 9:49 PM, Blogger Ashley said...

I love David's cake! It's beautiful!

love,
ashley

 
At 10/07/2007 10:27 PM, Blogger Joe said...

How fun! I like the flowers on the cake!

Do you know what you will be covering in the next class?

 
At 10/08/2007 7:19 PM, Blogger Amy said...

Hi Joe~
Thanks so much for stopping by. I have to admit: I've been reading your blog for about a year and I'm continually in awe (and jealous) of how much you get done!

Unfortunately, I have a minor family emergency and will miss my class tomorrow. I'm trying to find out if they will let me make it up next time it's offered.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home