.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not As Good As Pork Cracklins

misadventures in cooking

Saturday, August 18, 2007

Summer Wheatberry Salad

My desire for summer salad entrees continues. Tonight's is a most excellent recommendation from my friend Sheri over at Pork Cracklins: Summer Wheatberry Salad from Fine Cooking #28. Oh look! It's another John Ash recipe! And I love it!

I bought soft wheatberries from the bulk department at Central Market. I eyeballed exactly one cup, just like I eyeballed exactly 13 ounces of butter yesterday. It's true! The instructions were to cook them until they were "pleasantly chewy, which may take anywhere from 50 and 90 minues. Afraid of overcooking them to the point of mushy, I tested: no, not close... Tested: uh uh, need more time... Tested: umm, getting there? What exactly does "pleasantly chewy feel like?... Tested: oh! they're ready!

The cooled wheatberries get tossed with scallions, roasted red (I used yellow) peppers, capers, quartered artichoke hearts and cherry tomatoes, capers, basil, sliced almonds, and a fairly basic garlicky vinaigrette. It's served on a bed of lettuce. Gorgeous colors. I love this salad. It's delicious!

3 Comments:

At 8/18/2007 10:42 PM, Blogger Sheri said...

I love it too! In fact, since we chatted about it, I've been thinking about making it again - we have cherry tomatoes coming in right now, mmmm.

 
At 8/20/2007 2:29 PM, Blogger Ashley said...

That sounds yummy too...though I have never had a wheatberry. What are they like?

 
At 8/20/2007 2:40 PM, Blogger Amy said...

Wheatberries are unprocessed kernels of wheat. I bet you've had little roundish bits in multigrain bread. They taste sort of nutty, with a kind of chewy-in-a-good-way texture. The salad was really, really good!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home