.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not As Good As Pork Cracklins

misadventures in cooking

Friday, May 04, 2007

Chicken Salad Sandwich



Taunton has a new cookbook called, "150 Things to Make with Roast Chicken (and 50 Ways to Roast It)". It's not on my wish list, just thought I'd let you know.

I like to make chicken salad with leftover roasted chicken. A basic one that I like is just chopped chicken, apples, celery and enough mayonnaise to bind it. And black pepper. I think chicken salad requires lots of freshly ground black pepper. However, one of my favorites recipes is from Cooking Light, Rosemary Chicken Salad Sandwiches.

I've made it several times, including once for Gary's bridge party. I made it again last night, with chicken leftover from earlier in the week, and had it on fresh Basic Hearth Bread. It was delicious.

Rosemary Chicken Salad Sandwiches
adapted from Cooking Light Magazine

small blob of plain fat-free yogurt
small blob of light mayonnaise
a little bit of Dijon mustard
a little bit of minced fresh rosemary
kosher salt
Leftover roasted chicken, skinned, boned, and chopped
small handful of chopped green onions
small handful of smoked almonds, chopped
lots of freshly ground pepper

Guestimate how much yogurt and mayonnaise you'll need for the amount of chicken you have. (If you have no idea, or if you want to be fussy, use the Cooking Light proportions.) Stir together the yogurt, mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, rosemary and salt. Gently combine with the chicken, green onions, and smoked almonds. Add lots of pepper. Decide if it's moist enough for your taste. If not, add more mayonnaise and/or yogurt.

Sometimes I eat it on fresh bread, sometimes on toast, and sometimes on a bed of lettuce.

1 Comments:

At 5/08/2007 9:36 AM, Blogger Toni said...

Whole Foods website has a couple of chicken salads that are good. I like their blackened chicken salad and the Sonoma chicken salad. I'm with you on the FC special edition. This is one I live without.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home