.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not As Good As Pork Cracklins

misadventures in cooking

Friday, March 23, 2007

Gnocchi with Bacon, Onions & Peas

I thought we were going out for dinner, but we made a last minute decision to stay home. Unfortunately, I was very low on groceries and very low on motivation to run to the store. I racked my brain trying to think of something to make with the limited supply I had on hand, but I kept coming up empty. Finally, one of those "duh!" moments, it occurred to me to flip through the Quick and Delicious section of the most recent Fine Cooking magazine (#85).

Hmmm... Pan-Fried Gnocchi with Bacon, Onions & Peas... pan-fried gnocchi is one my stand-by meals. Usually I sauteed it in butter and sage from my lame herb garden. This might be a very nice variation. Quick ingredient scan: gnocchi? check. bacon? in freezer. check. yellow onion? well, just one, not two, but check. frozen peas? check. fresh thyme? check. parmigiano-reggiano? check. We're in business, amazingly enough.

Other than the one-onion-not-two problem, the only other thing I varied from the recipe is that I did not throw away the bacon fat. I poured some of it into a bowl and carmelized the onion in what remained in the pan. Then I added more back to the pan when it was time for the gnocchi. I know it's not a "good" fat like olive oil, but it was yummy.

Gary is not crazy about green peas. He was a good sport, but I had to trade a few of my gnocchi for a few of his peas. That's an ok swap, I think. We both liked the gnocchi, and it turned out to be great carbo-loading for my bike ride the next day. I was full of energy!

1 Comments:

At 3/26/2007 1:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yummy! We have some gnocchi that would be great for this recipe. I think this is exactly the right time of year to start working on making a better herb garden. I hate going to the store to spend $$$ on herbs when I only need one little sprig. (but i don't want to do dry)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home