.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not As Good As Pork Cracklins

misadventures in cooking

Monday, February 19, 2007

Mussels with Smoky Bacon, Lime & Cilantro

I have a copy of Best American Recipes 2003-2004, given to me by Sheri, as many of my cookbooks have been. I didn't have this recipe flagged, but back in December some folks were talking about it and it sounded like something Gary and I would both love. I finally got around to it last night.

OMG. The sauce is to die for. The recipe calls for 3 1/2 pounds of mussels for 4 people, so I bought about a pound and a half for the two of us. But we ate 4 people's worth of sauce. I'm serious. It was that good. I also made a fresh baby loaf of NYT No Knead Bread which was the perfect accompaniment.

I asked the wine guy at Central Market for help with pairing, because the ingredients were throwing me off. He recommended a Portugese Vinho Verde for $9.99, which ended up being quite nice.

Mussels with Smoky Bacon, Lime & Cilantro
Source: Food & Wine magazine
Cook: Michael Romano

Serves 4 (uhhh... see above)

1/4 pound thick sliced lean smoked bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces (I used Central Market applewood smoked bacon)
2 large shallots
1 large jalapeno pepper, thinly sliced into rings, seeds removed
salt and pepper
1/2 pound plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped or 1 14 oz. can diced tomatoes in juice (I used Muir Glen Organic Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes, which nicely complemented the smoked bacon)
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 Tablespoons ketchup
3 1/2 pounds medium mussels, scrubbed and debearded
2 Tablespoons lime juice
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
2 tablespoons unsalted butter

Crusty bread

Cook bacon in a large enameled cast iron dutch oven over medium heat until crisp, about 8 minutes. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the fat. Add shallots and jalapeno, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened but not browned, about 4 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook for 3 minutes. Add wine and ketchup and simmer until reduced by half, about 4 minutes.Increase heat to high and add mussels. Cover and cook, shaking pan a few times until the mussels open, about 5 minutes.With a slotted spoon transfer the mussels to four large serving bowls. Remove the dutch oven from the heat and stir in the lime juice, cilantro and butter. Ladles the sauce over the mussels and serve at once with the bread.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home