.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not As Good As Pork Cracklins

misadventures in cooking

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Southwestern Spiced Chicken & Black Bean Stew

Sheri inspired me to get out an older issue (March 2003) of Fine Cooking to make Southwestern Spiced Chicken & Black Bean Stew. It was delicious. I think I will make it to go in David & Ashley's freezer the next time I visit them and the twins.

I took Sheri's lead and pulled the chicken off the bone after simmering it. I think it would be weird to serve stew with whole thighs in it. I didn't garnish it with sour cream or fried tortilla chips, as suggested, although I suspect either or both would be good. We had it with a small pan of cornbread, and that was a nice match.

3 Comments:

At 2/28/2007 9:57 PM, Blogger Sheri said...

Oooh, I'm glad you liked it! I agree, serving whole thighs in the sauce seem weird - more like a braise than a stew.

I really like a dollop of sour cream with this. The first time I made crisp tortilla strips to go with it, but this time I didn't. I don't think I missed them that much.

 
At 3/01/2007 5:12 PM, Blogger Toni said...

Hi, I've made this too and liked it a lot. I think I should make it again soon, sans thigh bones.

 
At 3/04/2007 9:02 PM, Blogger Ashley said...

Sounds yummy! I think leaving the whole thighs in sounds weird too...sort of like leaving the tails on the shrimp in etouffe :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home