.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not As Good As Pork Cracklins

misadventures in cooking

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Blueberry Lemon Cream Tarts



Texas blueberries are ok, but Michigan blueberries are the best! I can eat an embarrassing number of them, straight out of hand, no adornment necessary. But Gary loves fruit tarts, so I made these Blueberry Lemon Cream Tarts, based on this recipe from Gourmet Magazine. A couple of recommendations: rather than use their recipe for graham cracker crust, use the one on the box. Also, I thought the filling needed more "punch" from the lemon, so I added a little bit of lemon extract. Go easy on it, because if you use too much, it will have an alcoholic/chemical taste, and the liquid will affect the texture of the filling.

Other things I have made lately:
Mediterranean Spice Rubbed Salmon and Cherry Tomato Salsa with Capers & Green Olives from Fine Cooking #79. It's the second or third time I've made it and it is excellent. In fact, that is a particularly good issue of Fine Cooking. I just checked the website and it isn't listed as an available back issue! Wow, lots of people must have thought it was good.

From another back issue, Fine Cooking #62, Saturday evening I made Chicken Roulades with Goat Cheese and Sun-Dried Tomatoes, another favorite that we have had many times. I always serve it with very simply dressed salad greens. Love this dinner!

From the current issue (#87), I've made the Corn Saute with Canadian Bacon, Potatoes & Peppers. I loved it. I couldn't tell if Gary did or not. I used some of Mr. Enstone's homegrown tomatoes and basil to make the No-Cook Tomato Sauce, as well as pesto. One day, Julia and I had a lovely lunch of pesto on farfalle with those fresh tomatoes sliced on the side. The Grilled Five-Spice Chicken Thighs were very good. I'd like to made the other thigh recipes from that same article. Also high on my to-do list is Grilled Goat Cheese Crostini with Roasted Red Peppers. I adore goat cheese.

8 Comments:

At 8/07/2007 6:23 PM, Blogger Toni said...

Wow, you've been busy. I enjoy all the feedback on FC recipes. That corn saute was excellent. I used reg. bacon instead of canadian. I will definitely make it again, but also want to try some of the others.

 
At 8/07/2007 10:46 PM, Blogger Sheri said...

Oooh, Larry would love those tarts!

I was going to make the corn saute with zucchini last weekend but didn't... maybe this weekend?

 
At 8/07/2007 11:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I need to buy some of those cute mini tart pans.

 
At 8/13/2007 6:39 PM, Blogger sbsterling said...

I just wanted to let you know that the goat cheese and red pepper crostini are excellent. You get a huge return on minimal effort and everyone I served them to thought they were fabulous.

 
At 8/13/2007 6:54 PM, Blogger Amy said...

Thanks Catlady, that is good to know!

 
At 8/14/2007 10:19 AM, Blogger Ashley said...

The goat cheese and red pepper crostini sounds WONDERFUL!

Miss you,
ashley, thomas, and elizabeth

 
At 8/20/2007 2:31 PM, Blogger Ashley said...

I meant to comment the other day on how beautifully delicious the tarts look. I love blueberries! Can't say I have ever had Michigan blueberries though.

 
At 8/25/2007 10:14 AM, Blogger Nana J said...

The Blueberry Lemon Cream Tarts sound delicious.
Love you, Mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home