.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not As Good As Pork Cracklins

misadventures in cooking

Thursday, March 03, 2005

Perfect Flan

I'm not a big sweets eater. I mostly make sweets for other people. However, this has to be one of the best desserts ever.

Ouch. Vanilla beans are going for $5.99 each at Central Market right now. That's quite a bit more than the last time I bought one.

These need to be made at least one day ahead, because the caramel (which hardens immediately after you pour it into the ramekins) softens overnight and becomes a lovely puddle of sauce when you tip out the custard. To get hardened caramel off your saucepan or utensils, use boiling water. Works like a charm.

The person who invented silicone potholders deserves a Nobel prize. Fetching anything out of a water bath used to be like asking to get burned. No more. Reach right in, my friend.

On another note, it is oddly disturbing to me that I prefer Gourmet, but I seem to cook more from Bon Appetit. Whatever. This really is the "perfect" flan.

4 Comments:

At 3/03/2005 11:36 AM, Blogger Sheri said...

It looks so yummy! I wish I was there to eat it up. I'm adding that recipe to my favorites on Epicurious.

I prefer Gourmet also. It's laid out nicer, or something.

 
At 3/04/2005 8:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmm good. That looks famillar. Jim is drooling.

 
At 3/06/2005 1:04 PM, Blogger it's only fuel said...

well for someone that constantly says she doesn't like sweets...I've seen a few posts on this blog to disprove that claim! mmmmmm....flan:)

 
At 3/06/2005 5:21 PM, Blogger Amy said...

Most of the other sweets you've read on here, I just taste to see how they came out. The flan? I EAT that!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home