.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not As Good As Pork Cracklins

misadventures in cooking

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Spiced Orange & Cranberry Snacking Cake



I read cookbooks the way some people read novels. Actually, I read novels, too. I don't usually buy novels, though. I borrow them from the library and return them in a mostly timely manner. I buy cookbooks. Sometimes after pre-screening from the library, sometimes not. I take solace in knowing that I have a friend or two who suffers from the same compulsion.

I bought four new cookbooks last week. I don't need four new cookbooks, necessarily, but I convinced myself that I needed them. One is Cake Keeper Cakes by Lauren Chattman. These aren't "production" cakes. Rather, they tend to be simple, perhaps one layer or loaf or bundt, maybe with a glaze or a sprinkle of powdered sugar. The type of cake you'd keep on your counter for mid-week nibbling.

Good thing they're simple too, because I was able to bake one in the early morning hours today, even before I'd run, to have for Sunday dinner tonight. And although it was the easiest dessert I've made in months, everyone ate seconds and some people had thirds.

Spiced Orange & Cranberry Snacking Cake, served with orange sherbet

4 Comments:

At 2/01/2010 10:04 AM, Blogger Shayla said...

That looks very yummy!

 
At 2/01/2010 6:18 PM, Blogger Monica said...

I want your snacks.

 
At 2/04/2010 9:16 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

my most recent- in addition to peter's - mastering the art of chinese cooking. momofuku, 660 curries, and 50 great curries of india! (thanks:-))
cheryl

 
At 2/16/2010 1:10 PM, Blogger SallyBR said...

Compulsion? Which compulsion?

:-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home