.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not As Good As Pork Cracklins

misadventures in cooking

Friday, January 15, 2010

Seared Tuna



These days, I blog so much about baking that many people think that's all I do. In fact, I cook more than I bake. And it's been far too long since I've used the blog to sing the praises of my fishmonger Mario. I love that man! He carefully chooses everything he sells to me, examining shrimp one by one, each individual mussel, perfectly trimming every portion of fish. If I ask for 2/3 of a pound, he gives me exactly 10.67 ounces. He always asks me how I'm going to prepare it, and gives me hints & tips.

A few weeks ago, he wasn't behind the counter and some kid was packing up what I needed for that night's cioppino. Mario returned from his break and asked what I was making. When I told him, he got all excited and told me to wait there while he went to the freezer.

He gave me, no charge, a pint of crab stock that he'd made! I told him that no way was I putting it in my cioppino, that I would save it for crab bisque. I made the bisque for Sunday dinner two weeks ago and OMG, that was the best soup ever!

Sorry no photo of the bisque, but here's a photo of last night's seared tuna. It was fabulous.

5 Comments:

At 1/15/2010 10:25 AM, Blogger MW said...

you are right. it looks fantastic!
i know what i'm buying at the store next time!

 
At 1/15/2010 5:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your lucky!.Most folk only know bottled clam juice.
A little wine, some shell or bones, a little tomato paste and in 1 hour you have fish stock.

 
At 1/15/2010 9:20 PM, Blogger Shayla said...

I also thought you gave up cooking and only baked. You should post more of your cooking, too! I enjoy seeing the food.

 
At 1/16/2010 7:53 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

that looks so good! i love seared tuna. we need to meet a z-tejas some time!!
cheryl

 
At 1/17/2010 12:51 PM, Blogger Monica said...

looking at your blog is such a tease !

 

Post a Comment

<< Home