.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not As Good As Pork Cracklins

misadventures in cooking

Sunday, November 29, 2009

Basic Flaky Pie Crust

I intend to master the art of homemade pie crust. Starting today. And, although I don't often blog "process" photos, I am ridiculously happy with the dough for tonight's dessert, so I took a few.

Somehow I managed to roll a nearly perfect circle. I'm not sure that will ever happen again.


A tip I learned from... somewhere. I forget where. To transport the rolled dough to the pie plate, drape it around the rolling pin. Ta da! I was able to move it without stretching or breaking it, and it landed in the center.


I shall acquire crimping skills. Someday.


Basic Flaky Pie Crust (buttermilk variation p. 25), The Pie & Pastry Bible, Rose Levy Beranbaum

5 Comments:

At 11/29/2009 3:08 PM, Blogger Keith said...

Looks perfect.

 
At 11/29/2009 10:56 PM, Blogger Sheri said...

How do you like that crust? My favorite is the one in Fine Cooking for the leaf-covered apple pie (issue 54). So easy to handle and not a lot of steps.

 
At 11/30/2009 5:20 AM, Blogger Amy said...

Sheri, this one seems good to me, but what do I know? I have surprisingly little experience eating pie crust, much less making it, so I can't really say. I'll try the FC one next. Oh! And I'm eager to try RLB's cream cheese pie crust because it gets rave reviews.

 
At 11/30/2009 11:03 AM, Blogger Sheri said...

I'm the same way - I'm not a huge pie eater. But when I make one I usually at least try the crust to see how it turns out. I've also heard good things about RLB's cream cheese crust.

 
At 11/30/2009 6:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Memories...I remember those trips.
Your pie looks delicious. I have to agree with Gary. I am a pie person too. Only, if it is home made though! I don't want any part of a store pie.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home