.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not As Good As Pork Cracklins

misadventures in cooking

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Chocolate Streusel Coffee Cake


After reading so many positive reviews of this cake, and being eager to bake more from this book, I made this yesterday to take to a birthday breakfast today.

It's fine. Really. It's fine.

But I wouldn't make it again. I've made other sour cream coffee cakes that were just as good and less fussy.

Fussy #1: It calls for an odd-sized bundt pan, not the typical 10-cup pan that most of us have. And then you're supposed to make 2 cupcakes with the extra batter, because all together it's not enough to fill up a regular pan. Or you can make 12 cupcakes. Then it's not really coffee cake, is it?

Fussy #2: It calls for 8.5 ounces of sour cream. A standard container is 8 ounces. Do I really need another half ounce? Seriously?

Fussy #3: It calls for an egg plus an egg white. Oh come on. Can't I throw the other yolk in there, so I don't have to think of something to do with it other than making a trip to the compost pile?

I think I had a Fussy #4 and maybe a Fussy #5. But for now, Mike said I could have a nap once it was past noon (it's past noon!!!) and I haven't soaked my sore feet yet.

Chocolate Streusel Coffee Cake, Rose's Heavenly Cakes

2 Comments:

At 1/17/2010 4:29 PM, Blogger Toni said...

8.5 oz! Ha, that's RLB for ya. Perfection to the point of absurdity.

 
At 1/17/2010 6:40 PM, Blogger meredith said...

mean, mean Mike pulled out his piece of your cake after my 24-miler. Then quickly threw it back into his car when he realized that eating it infront of me would just me plan old mean.

It did look beautiful, though :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home