.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not As Good As Pork Cracklins

misadventures in cooking

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Spatchcock Chicken



Spatchcock is fun to say. The thing is, it's probably not nearly as much fun for the poor chicken as it is for me. It's as if I'm mocking it. I'm not. I swear I'm not. Maybe mock-mocking.

My original plan was to do a step-by-step demo, the way I did salmon steaks. But as I was shooting photos, what I realized is that the pictures aren't particularly flattering, and I'm not sure I want the evidence on my blog. If you just google "spatchcock chicken", you'll find demos galore, including youtube videos. So maybe you don't need me after all and could just take care of things yourself. That would disappoint me if it turned out to be true.

Spatchcock chickens cook more quickly and more evenly than trussed birds. Plan ahead when you do it. Shove some herbs under the skin (eek! the poor chicken gets ravaged! I feel bad enjoying it so much!) and sprinkle it liberally with kosher salt. Leave it uncovered (or very loosely covered if your chicken has any remaining modesty -- mine apparently does not) in the refrigerator overnight.

When you see it the next day, you're going to think I'm crazy and that I've ruined your dinner, because it's going to look withered and dry. Which is going to result in amazingly crisp skin, but supermoist meat. And you'll thank me. Endlessly.

4 Comments:

At 5/21/2009 3:43 PM, Anonymous Julia said...

The simplest easiest meal I know how to cook! Thanks to you!!!

 
At 5/21/2009 4:36 PM, Blogger MW said...

so i leave it overnight in the fridge... and then what?!?!
oven, slowcooker, frying pan, grill?

signed,
confused.

p.s. but i'm truly excited thus far!

 
At 5/21/2009 7:16 PM, Blogger Sheri said...

Oven for sure, Mike. High heat. It's the Zuni way, so good.

 
At 5/22/2009 11:47 AM, Blogger Amy said...

Or grill if you live in Texas and hate turning on your oven.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home