.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not As Good As Pork Cracklins

misadventures in cooking

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Practice Practice Practice



One of my favorite quotes from Swimming to Antartica is "Don't get frustrated... get determined!"

I don't even know why I want to learn to make buttercream roses. I don't much care for them and rarely have a need for them. Why bother? I suppose the fact that my first tries were so frustrating made me determined to get them right someday. So every now and then, I use my practice frosting to attempt a few before I scrape it all back into the container to try again another day.

This morning, on a whim, I pulled out my practice frosting. OMG! I did it! A passable rose. I mean, really, that does look like a buttercream rose. No way was I scraping it back into the container. No way in hell. Of course that meant I needed to whip up a batch of cupcakes (I spent a few minutes thinking it deserved a proper cake, but none of this was on my agenda for the day!) and a mini-recipe of RLB's Neoclassic Buttercream (p. 187).

My one rose is for a dear friend who is going through a rough time. It's meant to be a sign that I am thinking of her, and that I value our friendship.

10 Comments:

At 7/29/2008 11:49 AM, Blogger MW said...

It looks perfect!

 
At 7/29/2008 12:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful and special rose. Glad you shared it with us!

 
At 7/29/2008 12:34 PM, Blogger Jess said...

Good job!

 
At 7/29/2008 1:00 PM, Blogger RuthWells said...

I am jealous of your beautiful rose -- mine aren't nearly so pretty! And what a lovely gift for your friend. Well done.

 
At 7/29/2008 1:06 PM, Blogger Amy said...

*faint*
but Ruth! I would have never tried any of this if I hadn't seen studied your buttercream demo on egullet!

 
At 7/29/2008 8:59 PM, Blogger Ashley said...

Beautiful, Auntie!

 
At 7/31/2008 4:45 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

How lovely! You're a good friend...Cathy

 
At 7/31/2008 10:16 PM, Blogger mspincushion said...

It's a pretty rose and a beautiful gesture.

Love you, Mom

 
At 9/03/2008 5:08 AM, Blogger kirsten said...

I'm impressed Amy!! Had time to burn at work tonight so I spent time looking at peoples blogs. Not only are you a gifted coach but obviously a talented cook too. All these photos of food are making my mouth water....yum!!

 
At 9/04/2008 1:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow those look soo pretty.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home