.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not As Good As Pork Cracklins

misadventures in cooking

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Cupcakes!



The daisies are a borrowed idea from Bakerella, made using the technique from The Whimsical Bakehouse. I love that book! I also made daisies with white borders that are even cuter, but they didn't "pop" on the cupcakes. I tried dying some purple frosting so they'd show up better, but the colors didn't match, so I went with these.

The cupcakes themselves are "Ice Water White Cake", posted by Chiqui on the Fine Cooking message board. It's a tender but firm cake, made with whipped egg whites.

The frosting is Mousseline Buttercream from The Cake Bible. Last night I gave Gary fair warning that I would be getting up early today, before it got too hot, and I'd be cranking the air conditioner way down. Otherwise, "room temperature" in Texas in June in a heatwave would not be "room temperature". The good news is that if you ever need a buttercream that is stiff and stable enough to pipe, this is it! I have plenty left over to freeze, so now I need an occasion to decorate a cake.

Here they are all boxed up to go. I'll have to be sure the car is cool before they go in, or this was a waste of time, butter, and eggs.

8 Comments:

At 6/17/2008 9:11 AM, Blogger Jess said...

totally cute!!! and i love the cupcake boxes...where did you get those?

 
At 6/17/2008 1:01 PM, Blogger Mark said...

Yes, very cute, very spring has sprung.

Ha! The "room temperature" thing made me laugh! While not as culinary, after years of being asked why the British drink "warm" beer, I eventually hit upon the rejoinder that it wasn't actually "warm", but "room temperature" and that "room temperature" in England, for most of the year, is cooler than in California/Phoenix/Texas/...

 
At 6/17/2008 1:51 PM, Blogger Sheri said...

So cute! I've been thinking about cupcakes lately. I love the box, too.

 
At 6/17/2008 2:08 PM, Blogger Toni said...

Yes, I agree the box is very cute. I would love some of those. Your cupcakes look great!

 
At 6/18/2008 12:39 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Very cute Lizzie and I know they are luscious!

I like the purple too! Iris purple...lol

 
At 6/21/2008 2:33 PM, Blogger MW said...

good luck tomorrow!
I didn't know you were training for CdA. I'll add you to my tracker for tomorrow and look forward to sending you good luck thoughts all day long!
(hope you get this in time!)
mike (wiley)

 
At 6/21/2008 4:29 PM, Blogger Amy said...

Hey Wiley, sorry if I accidentally mislead you. I'm not here to race; I'm here to support some athletes I've been coaching. I'll send your good luck thoughts their way!

 
At 6/28/2008 8:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute box!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home