.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not As Good As Pork Cracklins

misadventures in cooking

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Challah



This recipe is from Beth Hensperger's Bread Made Easy. About a year ago, I made her Milk Bread, which was excellent.

I had trouble deciding whether the dough was too sticky and I should add more flour. Seems to be my standard dilemma when baking a bread recipe for the first time. And it usually turns out just fine and I wonder why I worried.



This bread is rich with eggs and oil, slightly sweet from honey, and very good warm from the oven. I suspect it will be even better with jam. If it lasts long enough, I plan to make either french toast or bread pudding with it, both of which are classic uses for day-old challah.

Of course if it doesn't last long enough, that's ok. Because I definitely need to practice braiding. I might give RLB's recipe a try for the sake of comparison.

3 Comments:

At 1/23/2008 12:41 AM, Blogger Sheri said...

I've been wanting to make challah!

 
At 1/24/2008 12:06 AM, Blogger mspincushion said...

I bet it makes delicious French toast.

Yummy looking Lizzie.

 
At 1/25/2008 6:34 AM, Blogger Jess said...

great job on the braid! looks great.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home