.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not As Good As Pork Cracklins

misadventures in cooking

Friday, January 11, 2008

Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day



My friend Sheri over at Pork Cracklins emailed me with a great idea: She received a book as a gift called Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day, and asked if I wanted to bake it together (long-distance) as a project. Fun! I knew I was "in" as soon as she suggested it.

She chose the European Peasant Bread for us to begin with. I liked that idea too, because it has a little bit of rye and whole wheat flours in it.

The method really is as easy as the title implies. You pre-mix and refrigerate enough dough for 4 smallish loaves of bread. On the day you want to bake, you pull off a hunk, form a rough boule, let it rest, and bake. Voila. Fresh bread.



For more hints, suggestions and fun reading, check out the authors' blog at www.artisanbreadinfive.com

5 Comments:

At 1/11/2008 11:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 1/11/2008 11:43 AM, Blogger Sheri said...

Thanks for joining me in the project! I think it's hilarious that we made the same exact mistakes when baking it. I can't wait to hear how loaf number three turns out.

 
At 1/12/2008 12:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Amy, thank you for trying the bread and encouraging others to do so. I love it that you and your friend did it long distance. My mother and I having been doing that during the entire process of writing the book.

Sheri mentioned that you both made the same mistakes while baking. I'm so curious what that was???

Please check out www.zoebakes.com for updates on the errata sheet we have posted!

Thanks, Zoe Francois

 
At 1/12/2008 12:28 PM, Blogger Amy said...

Hi Zoe!

It was fun. I love my friend Sheri.

Neither of us used kosher salt, and I thought mine was too salty and wished I had. The master recipe clearly stated "kosher" but the European Peasant Bread did not. And we both forgot to slash our 2nd loaves! Long distance, it seems particularly odd that we both did the same 2 things!

 
At 1/14/2008 4:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmm,homemade bread. What could be better. It looks sooo good too.
Love you, Mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home