.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not As Good As Pork Cracklins

misadventures in cooking

Monday, April 17, 2006

Cooking Fresh



I haven't been doing much cooking lately, and what cooking I have done, I have not taken pictures of or written about.

Once or twice a year, Fine Cooking publishes a special edition that isn't included with your regular subscription. They are usually compilations of recipes from the magazine, with the occasional new recipe thrown in. I like the special editions because I notice recipes that I overlooked, or that I had marked to try but never did. They are also good issues to keep in the car, handy when you're uninspired at the grocery store.

This most recent special issue, Cooking Fresh, includes a couple of recipes already on my favorites list from when they were originally published: Fennel & Red Onion with Arugula (#63), Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes with Chipotle (#67), Smashed Red Potatoes with Basil & Parmesan (#70), and Risotto with Corn, Tomatoes & Basil (#59).

Last week, we had Summer Squash Salad with Lemon, Capers & Parmesan (#72). Despite a recommendation from Sheri, as well as rave reviews from Fine Cooking's Cooks Talk discussion board, we weren't crazy about it. I'm not sure why, but for some reason we like the parts more than the sum of the parts.

We had better luck last night with Tortellini with Artichokes, Roasted Peppers & Olives (#66). The Mediterranean flavors came together perfectly with oregano and feta cheese. It's destined to be a repeat.

3 Comments:

At 4/17/2006 11:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a good idea to keep the magazine in the car for when you go shopping! I am cleaning up my computer files, and have tons of recipes I downloaded and have never tried. I've got to make a plan. :)

Glad to hear your reviews on the recipes. The salad with squash and fennel and capers does sound good, but I know things that sound good don't always work. Just now as I wrote the ingredients I thought....Hmmm....those don't really go together now that I think of it!

Now to read more of your blog. :)

 
At 4/19/2006 8:37 PM, Blogger Sheri said...

I could have eaten the whole salad myself. It's the only way I really like zucchini, too.

 
At 4/21/2006 4:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

a new one is out! yea! i keep a couple in my car - i usually tab the easy/fast ones, of course they are also usually the ones w/the most cheese.
cheryl

 

Post a Comment

<< Home