.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Not As Good As Pork Cracklins

misadventures in cooking

Monday, September 07, 2009

Strawberry Buttercream



Notes on today's buttercream:
  1. It makes me silly happy when other people like "real" buttercream. Not that American Buttercream isn't real, but it isn't. Ha.

  2. I made a half recipe of Kaye's buttercream, an Italian meringue buttercream. A half recipe is about 6 egg whites, a little over a cup of sugar, and 3/4 pound of butter, in case you wondered. A half recipe makes about 4 cups of frosting, which is still a lot of frosting.

  3. I took approximately one cup of that and added strawberry puree at the suggested ratio, resulting in a mildly strawberry flavored frosting. I was afraid to add more puree, because buttercream is an emulsion, and if the proportions get too far off, it will break. I decided it would taste more strawberry-ish if I tinted it pink. It might be too pink. Deal with it.

  4. That leaves about 3 cups of plain buttercream left for me to freeze and play with later. Yay.
Vanilla Cupcakes with Strawberry Buttercream, The Whimsical Bakehouse

3 Comments:

At 9/07/2009 12:30 PM, Blogger MW said...

You're on a rol!!!

 
At 9/07/2009 5:41 PM, Blogger Sheri said...

Yum. I've got that cookbook on my list of books to check out from the library.

 
At 9/07/2009 5:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No such thing as "too pink" j

 

Post a Comment

<< Home